Saturday, December 12, 2009

Pantry treats on Saturday night

I am a big fan of making meals and snacks from what ever I have in the cupboard, rather than going to the shop for a ready made treat or to the supermarket for a basket full of groceries. I would say 90% of the time they turn out really well.  This evening I was feeling a  bit restless on the couch, after spending the day tidying and reading. I had eaten fairly sporadically through out the day as is usual on the weekends. So come 8pm I was peckish and felt like doing something. Inspiration hit and I ended up making the following little bites:

Berry turn-overs
  • Grab some ready rolled pastry - I had some puff in the freezer, and defrost.
  • We also had some frozen boysenberries in the freezer.
  • While the pastry is defrosting put the oven on 200.
  • Once the oven is hot cut your pastry into 6 even rectangles and brush each with loads of melted butter. Each rectangle should fit one large berry each quite nicely.
  • Place a berry in the middle of each rectangle and add a bit of brown sugar to taste.
  • Fold the pastry around the berry and squish down all the edges.  Brush again with butter all over  (including the bottom) and put on a grease proof paper lined tray.
  • Once you've done all 6 sprinkle them with more brown sugar and put in the oven till browned (not very long).  Once they are done leave to cool before plating up and sprinkling with icing sugar.

All in all they were pretty tasty.  Especially when coupled with some defrosted boysenberries which are nice and tart against the sweetness of the turn-overs.

Next time I will add a chocolate button or some good quality dark chocolate inside the pastry. Maybe a sweet pastry would be nice too.
 





No comments: